The Knitting Sherpa: "Big Girl Knits"

Thursday, May 25, 2006

"Big Girl Knits"

I'm not normally one to go ga-ga over a book of knitting patterns, or a book, for that matter. I love to read, but I leave the reviewing for other Amazon Junkie(s). ;) How's that for a shameless plug? ;)


But this book, Big Girl Knits: 25 Big, Bold Projects Shaped for Real Women with Real Curves deserves all of the praise, plugging, and urging you to BUY THIS BOOK I can give it. And no, I do not know the authors and I get no monetary (or other) benefits from recommending it to you.

If you are a Real Woman (defined by Lane Bryant as wearing a size 12/14 or larger) and love to knit, this book is for YOU.

I bought it with a friend who also loves to knit and we're trading it back and forth as we work on different projects, but even if I bought it solo, it would be completely worth the $19 Amazon wants for it. It's *that good.*

Like most plus-sized women, I have knitted for everyone except me. Well, except for a scarf, that is. I've looked longingly at patterns, only to find that they go no larger than a size 12, and my skills just aren't up there enough to adjust a pattern to fit my bod. This book gave me ideas, tips, and best of all....PATTERNS! to knit that will look *great* on me!

The humour in it is wonderful, and the tips are right on the money. But the best part (for me) is understanding that there are certain patterns which will not look good on me at all--and it's no reflection on my knitting ability, the yarn I choose, or anything else. It's based on how I'm shaped. And the sooner I start knitting for myself in something that compliments my shape, the better off I'm going to be. :) There are three classifications of women in the book--the 3Bs, as the authors so named it--Boobs, Belly, or Butt. Most of us have one of these three that is the most prominent, and this book gives us patterns that will drape well and show off our best assets. And let's face it--if we're going to put this much time, effort, and money in to creating something for ourselves, shouldn't it look FABULOUS on us?

This book is filled with colour pictures, step-by-step instructions, and other marvelous things that help everyone from the novice to the advanced. It's well worth the money, the time, and the read.

Happy knitting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home