The Knitting Sherpa: The Anatomy of a Cardigan

Sunday, April 09, 2006

The Anatomy of a Cardigan

Okay, before I get started, I just *have* to gloat. ;) One of my sisters (who shall remain nameless) was making fun of me when I told her I was starting to knit. I believe her exact words were, "Ohmygawsh...you're such a GRANNY!" And she dissed the knitting. Grrr....

So I showed her! Part of my niece's birthday gift was the two knitted scarves (see post below)--the Fur Sure in lime and watermelon colours. My SISTER LOVES THEM!! :D She called me early this morning saying that she couldn't stop touching them and could I puhleeeeezzzz make her a sweater and a baby blanket...and oh, could I do a hat for the baby??? HA! I made completely clear that she had dissed my knitting and shown disrespect for the art, so she backtracked --and quickly! ;) So, that said, when this cardigan is through, I'll start one for her that will last her through her current pregnancy. :) See what a NICE sister I am?? ;)

~~~

Anyhow, these are pictures of the current cardigan for Mark. It's still in pieces, as I'm working on the last sleeve. Other than that, it needs to be stitched and have the finishing bits put on it (mostly ribbing and the collar). I hope to be done inside of 7 days--much of this will depend on how quickly this finishing stuff goes. ;)


To the left, you're seeing the back of the cardigan. It's all being stitched in Bernat's Denim Style worsted weight yarn; colour is denim, and it's being worked mostly in stockinette on size 10 needles. The ribbing is done on size 9 needles. Relatively simple, except for keeping 100+ stitches on a straight needle. ;0


And finally (at least, when I snapped these pictures), you're seeing the two front pieces of the cardigan. On the stitch holders are the pockets that are knitted in but still need a ribbing finish. You can't see the tapered neckline for the collar in these pictures, but that will all be apparent when Mark models this work of art. I just have to finish it first. ;) I am enjoying the project, but I have to be honest--I'm getting a little tired of blue mottled yarn. ;0

1 Comments:

Blogger JMB said...

You're outta control! I think I've created a monster!! :) We definitely need to see final photos WITH THE MODEL when that sweater's done!

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home